1. Wrapping my friend in clingfilm. She was remarkably calm despite the wrap getting near to her eyes and mouth.
Half wrapped in Sellotape.
The finished cast of the head.
One hand was made mitten-like, the other was wrapped in very thin tape so we could make separate fingers.
All body parts finished. They’ll be taped together in position once I’ve decided on the stance of the figure. I intend this figure to be one a a few that hang from the ceiling of the Chapel at next year’s show of puppet-inspired work. I will be looking into the possibility of lighting them from within with LED lights and of creating elongated, and hybrid casts too.
A while ago I started to make two maquettes. At some point I showed images of them to my friend Clive who told me he liked them; he knows what he’s talking about – you can see his maquettes here . They were put away, nearly finished, until some months later when I unearthed them, reviewed them, decided I didn’t like them and threw them away. Fast forward about a year and I confess all to Clive who was angry. Then, a week later they turn up – how, I’ve now idea, since I remember the act of putting them in the bin. Anyway, here they are, probably finished and very rough, ready to send to Clive who will look after them far better than I have.
In their final making I suddenly realised just how useful and just how adaptable they could be, so these are the spring-board to a few more I have half-planned.
The baby doll maquette – the body taken from an old fashioned, new-born baby doll with a bandaged cord, the head is from a photo of the most lovely doll in a doll shop in Holland. It’s so clumsily made on thick card that it’s barely able to be articulated.
This maquette is cobbled together from all sorts of ideas; Dora the skeleton, a female, clothing from the Welsh Doll or from a fairy tale –
and confused further by her half flesh/ half bones.