Designed by their friend, architect Juan O’Gorman, this is the house that Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo shared from 1934 to 1940. Ribera used the larger, red half as his house and studio, Kahlo had the blue half. The two halves of the house are linked by a bridge. The garden is planted with a cactus fence.
All of the following are images from Rivera’s studio on the first floor.
(Left) The huge north-facing window in Rivera’s studio. The large papier-mâché figures are ‘Judas’ characters, often made to resemble authority figures. They are filled with fireworks in order to explode and disintegrate in spectacular fashion when they are burnt, traditionally on the Saturday before Easter Sunday.
Figures from around the studio